Curvy girls have been told for years to hide and to style themselves in a way that was more about hiding than showing off. They were always forced to shop with brands that had the most lazy, unflattering shapes. Plus-sized girls were left with few options.
In particular, after the 2000s, which were arguably most damaging to young plus-sized girls, we are now in a position where plus-sized Gen Z influences take up space that they did not have before.
Plus-sized models and influencers bravely navigate the sometimes unforgiving terrain on social media, breaking all unspoken but previously established rules of hiding or reducing themselves and marching to their own beat. We have learned 10 great style tips from Plus-Sized girls:
Measuring yourself before you go shopping
1. Dress for your Body Type and Proportions. As more fashion brands become size inclusive, it’s easier to find clothing that fits your proportions. Before your next shopping trip, you should always measure yourself.
It is important to choose the right shapewear. Two plus size shapewear models are shown here.
2. Invest in Good Shapewear. The perfect shapewear will elevate your dress. That bustier you were eyeing? Add it to the shopping cart. Good shapewear ‘snatches’ your body and accentuates your curves which brings us to the next point.
Flaunt those curves!: For years, mothers of plus – sized girls have advised their daughters to hide their ‘fat’ away by wearing loose clothing that inevitably made them look older and frumpier. Today, it is important to choose clothing that highlights your curves. Wearing body-hugging clothes can give you a youthful, lifted and fun look.
4. Dresses or tops that emphasize the waistline are the best choice for plus-sized girls. Clothing that has this effect gives your body dimensions you didn’t know existed. Buy that corset! Add the cami dress in your shopping basket! Cinched and Skimpy It’s in!
A midi skirt such as the one shown here can be very flattering.
5. Dress to lengthen your figure. Select silhouettes that make it appear as if you’re taller. Visually, long, flowing silhouettes can be very appealing. Midi Maxi skirts and dresses, wide-leg trousers, trench coats should be staples in your wardrobe.
High waisted trousers are essential. Source: @joannapincerato/Instagram @barbieferreira/Instagram
6. You can count on high waisted flared trousers. In the 2010s, low-waisted pants were out of style and high-waisted pants came back in. Shop for flared or baggy high waisted pants in denim, cargo or linen. A plus-sized woman will look great in cinched pants with wide legs.
When choosing an outfit, the neckline can make a dramatic difference. Source: @barbieferreira/Instagram, @aliguty/Instagram
7. Necklines also matter!Necklines often get forgotten when they are a major factor in whether or not an outfit will look good on you. Pick interesting necklines to spice up your outfit. Keep in mind that you can choose from a variety of necklines, including squared, off shoulder and scouped.
You can create depth with prints. Source: @gabifresh/Instagram @drewafualo/Instagram
8. Plus-sized women fear prints and bright colors. Don’t worry if you fear it too – society has conditioned plus-sized women to fear taking up space and there’s nothing like a snazzy bright print to do it for you. Take up space, it’s radical. And prints will help you navigate the process.
The right posture can transform your appearance.
9. Posture: How we carry ourselves can have a big impact on our appearance. Instead of slouching, push your shoulder forward and lengthen your neck. Straighten your back. Plus-sized girls, your slay is maximized!
10. Confidence is another name for a garment. Whatever you wear, do so with confidence. Confidence should be worn with confidence, just like any other piece of clothing.
Fashion is a way to express yourself, and all body types deserve to be celebrated by stylish ensembles. The 10 stylish outfits for plus-sized women are only the beginning. Plus-sized girls can easily navigate the worlds of fashion with a little creativity, and they will make a big statement.